RFR 8214245 : (regex) Case insensitive matching doesn't work correctly for some character classes

Joe Darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Tue Feb 11 23:10:36 UTC 2020

Hello,

Yes, I believe this change should have a CSR, and most likely a release
note.

Thanks,

-Joe

On 2/11/2020 12:49 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Will this have enough of a compatibility concern to warrant a CSR?
> It will change the behavor of these cases.
>
> In the RegExTest, the failures should print which case is failing.
> (Line 4961, 4990).
>
> Regards, Roger
>

> On 2/7/20 3:05 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
>> Gentle ping.
>>
>> I had to rebase the fix, as the code has diverged since the RFR was
>> sent out 10 months ago.
>>
>> Also, the test was slightly modified to cover more cases.
>>
>> BUGURL: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214245
>> WEBREV: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8214245/01/webrev/
>>
>> Thanks in advance to the volunteer to review the fix!
>>
>> With kind regards,
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> On 4/21/19 7:50 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> It turns out, that the case-insensitive j.u.regex.Pattern still pays
>>> attention to the characters case when certain char classes are used.
>>> For example \p{IsLowerCase}, \p{IsUpperCase} and \p{IsTitleCase}
>>> continue to recognize only lower, upper and title case characters,
>>> even in case-insensitive context.
>>>
>>> For example, for POSIX char classes this behavior contradicts this
>>> paragraph:
>>> """
>>> 9.2 Regular Expression General Requirements
>>> When a standard utility or function that uses regular expressions
>>> specifies that pattern matching shall be performed without regard to
>>> the case (uppercase or lowercase) of either data or patterns, then
>>> when each character in the string is matched against the pattern,
>>> not only the character, but also its case counterpart (if any),
>>> shall be matched. This definition of case-insensitive processing is
>>> intended to allow matching of multi-character collating elements as
>>> well as characters, as each character in the string is matched using
>>> both its cases.
>>> """
>>>
>>> I also checked how Perl is dealing with in such situation, and yes,
>>> it ignores the case with various \p{} classes when they are used in
>>> case-insensitive context, so all these tests run fine:
>>> 'A' =~ /\p{Lower}/i or die;
>>> 'a' =~ /\p{Upper}/i or die;
>>> 'A' =~ /\p{gc=Lt}/i or die; # title case
>>> 'a' =~ /\p{IsTitlecase}/i or die;
>>> 'Lj' =~ /\p{Lower}/i or die; # title-cased digraph
>>> 'lj' =~ /\p{Upper}/i or die;