RFR: 8239351: Give more meaningful InternalError messages in Deflater.c

Baesken, Matthias matthias.baesken at sap.com
Tue Feb 18 15:02:28 UTC 2020

Hello, please review this change to Deflater.c .

When running the jtreg test java/util/zip/DeInflate.java , we currently have errors on SLES 15.1 s390x when using the system zlib (1.2.11), while the bundled zlib (of OpenJDK)  seems to be okay.
What's worse, the error messages are not very meaningful / helpful .

We just get
java.lang.InternalError
at java.base/java.util.zip.Deflater.deflateBytesBytes(Native Method)
at java.base/java.util.zip.Deflater.deflate(Deflater.java:595)
at java.base/java.util.zip.Deflater.deflate(Deflater.java:474)
without more any meaningful error text.

I would suggest to improve a bit the error messages in Deflater.c ; this would  lead  in this case  to :

java.lang.InternalError: unknown error in checkDeflateStatus, setParams case
                at java.base/java.util.zip.Deflater.deflateBytesBytes(Native Method)
                at java.base/java.util.zip.Deflater.deflate(Deflater.java:586)
                at java.base/java.util.zip.Deflater.deflate(Deflater.java:465)

Bug/webrev :

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mbaesken/webrevs/8239351.0/

Thanks, Matthias