RFR [15] 8161558: ListIterator should not discard cause on exception

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Wed Feb 26 01:02:38 UTC 2020

On 2/25/20 8:01 AM, forax at univ-mlv.fr wrote:
>> If the IOOBE is noise, it can be ignored.

> You are forcing all primary users to ignore something that is useful only for the secondary users.
> Given that the ratio between primary vs secondary users is at least 100 000 for 1 if not more, that's a lot of noise to filter.
> I don't think chaining exception IOOBE to a NSEE worth the cost here.

Hi Rémi,

I really do not see the cost here. Most information in an exception (such as the
stack trace itself, including classes, methods, and line numbers, along with any
chained exceptions) is about implementation. Perhaps most users don't care about
this. However, if you're debugging a system, you care about the implementation
details, and this information is essential. In fact, the more information there
is, the better. You're effectively arguing to throw stuff away. Continuing this
line of reasoning, maybe we should discard the stack traces below the public API
boundary, since most users don't care about it, since it's just internal
implementation details of the JDK.

No, I don't think so.

s'marks