RFR (14) 8235837: Memory access API refinements

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Thu Jan 16 14:51:47 UTC 2020

Hi Andrew,
I think characterizing this specific instance as a case of "too late to
change anything" is a tad harsh. The memory access API has been made
available via an _incubating_ module for precisely this reason - to make
it more widely accessible, so that developers (like you!) could try it
out (as we're well aware that not all the folks who might be interested
in this API might not be on panama-dev) and report back on their
experience. The API being incubating means that there's plenty of time
to change and improve things, based on feedback - please do not assume
that what we made available in JDK 14 is set in stone, as that's the
opposite of what JEP 11 [1] is supposed to mean.

If you prefer to have this discussion in core-libs, feel free to do so -
but I'd suggest to (1) keep panama-dev in CC and (2) start a new thread
since the issue you raise has nothing to do with this RFR.

Cheers
Maurizio

[1] - https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/11