RFR: 8252999: Cleanup: replace .equals("") with .isEmpty() within all codebase

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Thu Sep 10 15:53:05 UTC 2020

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:53:10 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @dholmes-ora raises a good point. Hopefully there is a balance point between a dozen different bugs / pull requests
>> each targeting one area and one bug / PR targeting a dozen separate areas. I don't have a good general rule to suggest.
>> Maybe @AlanBateman or @jddarcy can offer some advice?
>
> 14 cc'd mailing lists is unworkable. You need to be subscribed to lists to post, but even if you are a reply-all will
> be delayed due to all of the mails being held up for moderator approval due to:
> " Too many recipients to the message"
>
> I have a longer email coming once it gets through the moderator approval delay. :(

Patches that do global replace are always awkward. In this case, there are 150 files changed and most seem to be tests
or changes to tools used in the build (includes src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmtiEnvFill.java). If these are dropped from
the patch then it leaves just 43 files, many of which are from 3rd party code that can also be dropped. This should
reduce the patch down to a manageable 24 or so files that should be trivial to review.