RFR: 8242882: opening jar file with large manifest might throw NegativeArraySizeException

Jaikiran Pai jpai at openjdk.java.net
Wed Sep 23 15:42:06 UTC 2020

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 15:06:55 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <jpai at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Can I please get a review and a sponsor for a fix for https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8242882?
>
> As noted in that JBS issue, if the size of the Manifest entry in the jar happens to be very large (such that it exceeds
> the `Integer.MAX_VALUE`), then the current code in `JarFile#getBytes` can lead to a `NegativeArraySizeException`.  This
> is due to the: if (len != -1 && len <= 65535)  block which evaluates to `true` when the size of the manifest entry is
> larger than `Integer.MAX_VALUE`. As a result, this then ends up calling the code which can lead to the
> `NegativeArraySizeException`.  The commit in this PR fixes that issue by changing those `if/else` blocks to prevent
> this issue and instead use a code path that leads to the `InputStream#readAllBytes()` which internally has the
> necessary checks to throw the expected `OutOfMemoryError`.  This commit also includes a jtreg test case which
> reproduces the issue and verifies the fix.

I had created a copy of this branch in my personal fork and included the `submit.yml` workflow as noted in this recent
mail here[1] to try and run the `tier1` testing for this change. But it looks like that has failed for unrelated
reasons[2]. So I'll go ahead and trigger the `tier1` tests locally instead.

[1] https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2020-September/004736.html
[2] https://github.com/jaikiran/jdk/actions/runs/268948812

test/jdk/java/util/jar/JarFile/LargeManifestOOMTest.java line 60:

> 58:         final OutOfMemoryError oome = Assert.expectThrows(OutOfMemoryError.class, () -> jar.getManifest());
> 59:         // additionally verify that the OOM was for the right/expected reason
> 60:         if (!"Required array size too large".equals(oome.getMessage())) {

I wasn't too sure if I should add this additional check on the message of the `OutOfMemoryError`, but decided to do it
anyway, given that from what I remember there were some discussions in the `core-libs-dev` list a while back on the
exact messages that such OOMs should throw. So I guessed that it might be OK to rely on those messages in the tests
within this project. However, I am open to removing specific check if it's considered unnecessary.