RFR: 8190753: (zipfs): Accessing a large entry (> 2^31 bytes) leads to a negative initial size for ByteArrayOutputStream [v6]

Jaikiran Pai jpai at openjdk.java.net
Mon Jul 5 04:30:27 UTC 2021

> Can I please get a review for this proposed fix for the issue reported in https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190753?
>
> The commit here checks for the size of the zip entry before trying to create a `ByteArrayOutputStream` for that entry's content. A new jtreg test has been included in this commit to reproduce the issue and verify the fix.
>
> P.S: It's still a bit arguable whether it's a good idea to create the `ByteArrayOutputStream` with an initial size potentially as large as the `MAX_ARRAY_SIZE` or whether it's better to just use some smaller default value. However, I think that can be addressed separately while dealing with https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8011146

Jaikiran Pai has updated the pull request incrementally with three additional commits since the last revision:

 - remove no longer used constant
 - use jtreg's construct of manual test
 - Implement Alan's review suggestion - don't expose the threshold as a configuration property, instead set it internally to a specific value

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/4607/files/a9dfd8cd..50e64d74

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=4607&range=05