jpackage MacOS Notarization

Daniel Peintner daniel.peintner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:27:20 UTC 2021

All,

I am trying to notarize an app (built with jpackage) for MacOS.

jpackage at first *seems* to properly sign all resources with the available
--mac-sign options et cetera.

Having said that, there are still remaining issues
1. The app cannot be properly installed
   (without hacks like xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/myAPP.app
).
2. I am also not able to properly notarize the app.

According to online resources there seem to exist issues in *past* about
notarization but according to [1, 2] the issues are fixed.

As mentioned, I still have issues :-(
Am I really the only one still having problems?

Java Version: AdoptOpenJDK-16.0.1+9 (tried Oracle JDK also without success)

The issue seems to boil down to 2 errors (attached the error log from Apple
notarization process).
* app Folder
* libjli.dylib

I thought I better ask first on the mailing list before creating an actual
bug report.

Note1: I used to use the *old* javapackager that worked with the same
signature/credentials.
Note2: running jpackage without --mac-sign options causes many more errors
in notarization (Hence, jpackage signs most resources but fails with some)

Any help / hint appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Daniel

## APPLE LOG ##

{
  "logFormatVersion": 1,
  "jobId": "...",
  "status": "Invalid",
  "statusSummary": "Archive contains critical validation errors",
  "statusCode": 4000,
  "archiveFilename": "myAPP-21.07.28.dmg",
  "uploadDate": "2021-07-28T14:31:24Z",
  "sha256": "...",
  "ticketContents": null,
  "issues": [
    {
      "severity": "error",
      "code": null,
      "path": "myAPP-21.07.28.dmg/myAPP.app/Contents/MacOS/myAPP",
      "message": "The signature of the binary is invalid.",
      "docUrl": null,
      "architecture": "x86_64"
    },
    {
      "severity": "error",
      "code": null,
      "path": "myAPP-21.07.28.dmg/myAPP.app/Contents/runtime/Contents/MacOS/libjli.dylib",
      "message": "The signature of the binary is invalid.",
      "docUrl": null,
      "architecture": "x86_64"
    }
  ]