RFR: 8266972: Use String.concat() in j.l.Class where invokedynamic-based String concatenation is not available

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Wed May 12 22:45:13 UTC 2021

Hi,

I gave this some thought the other day when looking at one of Sergey's
patches.

I'm no expert on javac but I think translating to String::concat is
likely to be a bit harder than it seems. It's not a static method, so
the left hand side must be non-null. This is something I believe javac
can't prove in the general case. Corner cases such as when the left
hand side is a String literal, of course, but that would be of limited
utility.

There are more convoluted solutions that might work if one squints (add
public static concat methods and translate calls into those?), but the
question we need to be asking ourselves is really if it is worth our
time - and the added complexity? The answer is likely no.

It might help some if you're targeting java 8 or using javac as a
frontend for non-JVM targets (lol!), but going forward I think it would
mostly help java.base and a few other JDK modules where the
invokedynamic translation can't be used due bootstrapping issues. And in
most of those cases it won't really matter for performance anyhow.

That's why I think using String::concat on a case-by-case basis in those
few OpenJDK modules where indified string concat is not applicable is
enough. When we see that it helps. And then only sparingly.

Hope this clarifies how I reason about this.

/Claes