RFR: 8266835: Add a --validate option to the jar tool [v2]

Jorn Vernee jvernee at openjdk.java.net
Wed May 19 15:36:57 UTC 2021

> This patch adds a `--validate` option to the jar tool which can be used to validate a jar file that might be malformed. For instance, if a jar is a multi-release jar, it is malformed if different versions expose different APIs.
>
> The implementation is straight forward since there already exists validation logic that is run when creating or updating a jar. This patch just exposes that logic directly under a new command line flag.
>
> I've enhanced the existing ApiValidatorTest to also create malformed jars using the zip file APIs (the jar tool does not output malformed jars) and run them through `jar --validate`.
>
> Note that while the jdk's jar tool does not output malformed jars, third-party archiving tools might, or the jar could have been manually edited.
>
> Some prior discussion here: https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2021-May/077420.html
>
> Testing: running jdk/tools/jar test suite locally, tier 1-3 (in progress), manual testing.

Jorn Vernee has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  Update error message

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/3971/files/3f68ad6c..cbd6e81b

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=3971&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=3971&range=00-01

  Stats: 1 line in 1 file changed: 0 ins; 0 del; 1 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/3971/head:pull/3971