RFR: 8273101: Eliminate the usage of threadgroup sandboxing in the java.util.logging

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.java.net
Fri Sep 3 20:30:12 UTC 2021

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 06:31:16 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The "java.util.logging.LogManager" class uses the "threadgroup sandboxing" via an AppContext to support "applet logging isolation". The AppContext class became useless since the plugin and webstart are no longer supported and removed in jdk11.
>
> This is the request to delete the usage of AppContext in the LogManager and related tests.
>
> Tested by tier1/tier2/tier3 and jdk_desktop tests.

Right. I am also a bit uncomfortable about the inconsistency. That said - if everybody agrees that this should be done I have no objection. The changes to the java.util.logging implementation correspond to my expectation if this were to be carried through.

test/jdk/java/util/logging/TestLoggingWithMainAppContext.java line 1:

> 1: /*

Humm... There's no direct reference to AppContext here. Maybe this test should be preserved?