RFR: 6957241: ClassLoader.getResources() returns only 1 instance when using jar indexing

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sun Sep 5 08:23:35 UTC 2021

On 04/09/2021 12:12, Lance Andersen wrote:

> Perhaps the jar validate option could/should be updated to flag when
> an index is there?
>
> We could add a warning for JDK 18 when main::genIndex is invoked as I
> assume we would want to at least wait until JDK19 to remove this
> functionality?

I'm not sure about jar --validate complaining if META-INF/INDEX.LIST is
present. It may be useful if it were to check that the index is correct
but it would need the entries listed in the Class-Path attribute to be
found.

I don't think we really need to do anything to the jar tool in the short
term, except just to move JarIndex to the jdk.jartool module. I think
the more important part is removing the JAR index support from the
runtime. I don't expect any issues with the URLClassLoader
implementation but it is possible that something comes out of the wood
work with signed JARs (JarVerifier).

-Alan