RFR: 8231640: (prop) Canonical property storage

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Wed Sep 8 01:19:48 UTC 2021

On 9/7/21 8:27 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> On 07/09/21 8:35 pm, Roger Riggs wrote:
>>
>> Though java.util.Date is used in the current implementation, its use is
>> discouraged in new code
>> in favor of java.time.ZonedDateTime.
>> Consider if java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.RFC_1123_DATE_TIME can be used to
>> parse and format the time.
>
> Noted. I'll take a look at these and update the PR as necessary.

Unless there's an overriding reason, it might be nice to have the output format
match the format used in the Debian patch that adds SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH:

https://salsa.debian.org/openjdk-team/openjdk/-/blob/master/debian/patches/reproducible-properties-timestamp.diff

(See JDK-8272157 for the journey that led us here, in particular, lack of
doPrivileged when reading the environment. The Debian patch also doesn't provide a
reproducible order, which we've already agreed is necessary.)

s'marks