RFR: 8273401: Remove JarIndex support in URLClassPath [v2]

Yi Yang yyang at openjdk.java.net
Wed Sep 8 07:47:13 UTC 2021

On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 06:22:38 GMT, wxiang <github.com+53162078+shiyuexw at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> There is a bug for URLClassPath.findResources with JarIndex.
>> With some discussions about the bug, the current priority is to remove the JAR index support in URLClassPath,
>> and don’t need to do anything to the jar tool in the short term, except just to move JarIndex to the jdk.jartool module.
>>
>> The PR includes:
>> 1. remove the JarIndex support in URLClassPath
>> 2. move JarIndex into  jdk.jartool module.
>
> wxiang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Some minor changes
>
>   Include:
>   1. remove public for INDEX_NAME in JarFile
>   2. recover the definition for INDEX_NAME in JarIndex
>   3. mv the test case JarIndexMergeTest.java into test/jdk/java/util/jar

Hi all,

Just wondering why we remove JarIndex other than fixing it? Is there any strong motive that drives us to do this?

Judging from our internal performance testing and user feedback, JarIndex can significantly reduce the time for class/resource lookup. Although JarIndex is an ancient technology, it is still helpful for many modern scenarios such as serverless applications.

Thanks.