RFR: 8273494: Zero: Put libjvm.so into "zero" folder, not "server"

Magnus Ihse Bursie ihse at openjdk.java.net
Thu Sep 9 15:38:07 UTC 2021

On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:23:45 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Sure, that works for me.
>
> While we are at it, do `core` and `custom` even carry their weight? I cannot remember if I ever seen anyone using them. Maybe we should "just" drop those variants, and leave only "server, client, minimal, zero"?

I don't know about "core". Last time it was up for discussion, some old-timer I've forgotten pointed out that it was useful for such-and-such. I'm not sure if the cost for keeping it is high enough to make the effort to figure out if anyone is going to miss it if we remove it.

As for "custom", it is not a real JVM configuration per se. Instead, it's more of a testing ground for the build system. Basically, the JVM "variants" are just named pre-defined sets of enabled JVM features. To test this properly, I introduced the "custom" variant which is just an empty set of JVM features from the start, so that individual features can be fully controlled. I don't really think anyone is using this in the "real world", but I'd like to keep it for testing purposes.