RFR: 8274299: Make Method/Constructor/Field accessors @Stable [v2]

Mandy Chung mchung at openjdk.java.net
Tue Sep 28 17:58:31 UTC 2021

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:25:17 GMT, Peter Levart <plevart at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This patch improves reflective access speed as shown by the included benchmarks:
>>
>> https://jmh.morethan.io/?gists=902f4b43519c4f96c7abcd14cdc2d27d,ac490481e3001c710d75d6071c10b23a
>>
>> ... and is also a prerequisite to make JEP 416 (Reimplement Core Reflection with Method Handle) perform better in some circumstances.
>
> Peter Levart has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Make Method/Constructor/Field instance fields initialized in the constructors final

> making fields @stable does improve performance since `jdk.internal.reflect` and `java.lang.reflect` are not final-field-trusted packages as you noted above. If JEP 416 makes them trusted, it can also remove the @stable annotations. But for backporting, they better stay there. WDYT?

Thanks for clarifying it.   Okay to keep those changes.

I would suggest to use the previous commit so that this patch focuses on this specific change - making the accessor @Stable.   We can make the fields final together with adding `jdk.internal.reflect` and `java.lang.reflect` in the trusted packages for TNSFF in JEP 416.