RFR: 8273346: Expand library mappings to IEEE 754 operations [v2]

Joe Darcy darcy at openjdk.java.net
Mon Jun 6 22:24:05 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 08:22:11 GMT, Raffaello Giulietti <duke at openjdk.java.net> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Math.java line 823:
>>
>>> 821:      * @apiNote
>>> 822:      * This method corresponds to the convertTowardPositive operation
>>> 823:      * defined in IEEE 754.
>>
>> Probably what is meant is IEEE `convertToIntegerTowardPositive` (not `convertTowardPositive`).
>> However, that's another kind of rounding, which always rounds any non-integral value toward positive infinity, not just ties. This is not what happens with this method.
>
>> not just ties
> Plz. disregard this 3 words

Okay, checking the IEEE 754-2019 spec again, there are operations to round a floating-point value to an integral-valued floating-point value (roundToIntegral{$ROUNDING_DIRECTION_ATTRIBUTE} and separately operations to round from a floating-point value to a value in an integer format (convertToInteger{$ROUNDING_DIRECTION_ATTRIBUTE} ). However, as noted, there is no IEEE 754 operations for rounding up only for ties. I'll remove the API notes for the round methods; thanks for catching this.