RFR (S): 7177917: Failed test java/lang/Math/PowTests.java

Vladimir Kozlov vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com
Mon Jun 25 11:01:42 PDT 2012

Roland Westrelin wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
>> Thank you for looking on refworkload. I would suggest to write a
>> microbenchmark, we will need it anyway for SSE
>> implementation. Two separate subtests for pow() and exp() called in
>> small loop over pre-generated (in array) "random"
>> (started from the same seed) normal (not NaN) values. Measure it's
>> performance after warmup phase. Then run the same
>> methods over different values (to cove at least some cases in our
>> code) which will produce NaNs to force recompile (or
>> not as in your first implementation). Measure performance with NaNs.
>> Then back to good values and measure it again.
>>
>> Test current code, your first and last implementations.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by: "Then run the same methods
> over different values (to cove at least some cases in our code) which
> will produce NaNs to force recompile (or not as in your first
> implementation). Measure performance with NaNs.".

Your first implementation does not deoptimize NaN cases so I wanted to see if
there is difference in performance.

> I wrote a micro benchmark that:
>
> - chooses 1 million "good" random values for pow
> - time the computation of pow for the 1 million values
> - force the uncommon trap and recompilation
> - do the measurement again with the same 1 million values
>
> same thing with exp and I did the measurement with the previous and
> current version of the code but I don't see any difference.

Did you verify that during first round you did not get NaN and deoptimized code
already? There should be a difference. Did you pre-generate randoms values?

> Where does the test go when it is ready? In the test subdirectory?

Unfortunately we don't have special place for performance tests. You can add it
to our regression tests, but don't add "@ test" line so it is not run
automatically by Nightly. If you want it run regular during Nightly reduce
number of iterations to guarantee compilation only.

Vladimir