[9] RFR(S): 8055286: Extend CompileCommand=option to handle numeric parameters

Zoltán Majó zoltan.majo at oracle.com
Wed Aug 27 07:27:36 UTC 2014

Hi Vladimir,

thank you for the feedback.

On 08/25/2014 08:50 PM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
> You don't need changes in globals.* files now.

I forgot about those files, sorry. I reverted them now.

> New access methods should return boolean, this way it will be easier
> to use:
>
> static bool has_option_value(methodHandle method, const char* option,
> intx& value);

OK, I changed the methods.

> Why you dup flag: strdup(flag)?
> TypedMethodOptionMatcher() does it already: os::strdup_check_oom(opt).

You're right, it's unnecessary and I've removed it.

> Don't assign option(opt) which is replaced immediately:
>
>   MethodMatcher(class_name, class_mode, method_name, method_mode,
> signature, next),
>                 option(opt), _type(BoolType), _value(value) {
>     option = os::strdup_check_oom(opt);

You're right, but I removed that code as you suggested not to specialize
that constructor (please see below).

> Please, use underscore for '_option' field's name too, even if it was
> not before.

OK.

> From what I see the only reason you have TypedMethodOptionMatcher
> constructor specialization is _type(UnknownType) setting. But why you
> are not using your new functions: get_type_for<T>()? You have type
> check before already: strcmp(options, "intx") etc, so only known types
> are used.

You're right. I removed all specializations of that constructor.

> Why you need specialization for CompilerOracle::option_value()?

I changed has_option_value() to a template method and so we have only
one declaration in compilerOracle.hpp.

But we need to explicitly instantiate the method for all OptionTypes
supported, because the method relies on some data/functionality that is
available only from within CompilerOracle and thus it is not possible
to  instantiate it in other compilation units. The explicit
instantiations are in compilerOracle.cpp.

> scan_flag_and_value() should return 'match' value as
> add_option_string() to be consistent. The success could be checked by
> (match != NULL) as in other cases.

I changed it.

Here is the updated webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8055286/webrev.02/