A hotspot patch for stack profiling (frame pointer)

Maynard Johnson maynardj at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 8 15:05:54 UTC 2014

On 12/05/2014 05:09 PM, Brendan Gregg wrote:
> G'Day Volker,
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Volker Simonis
> <volker.simonis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Brendan,
>>
>> I'm still not understanding who is taking the actual stack traces (let
>> alone the symbols) in your examples. Is this done by 'perf' itself
>> based only on the frame pointer?
>
> perf is walking the frame pointers.
Volker, to be specific, the perf profiling tool has a user space part and a
kernel space part. The collection of stack traces is done by the kernel.
When a user-specified event (or series of events) occur, the process
being profiled is interrupted and the sampled information (which can
optionally include a full stack trace) is made available to the user space
perf tool to be saved to a file for future post-profiling processing.

During the profiling phase, the perf tool collects information about the
profiled process's memory mappings, which allows for this address-to-symbol.
resolution, It's in the post-profiling phase where the sampled instruction,
along with its associated stack trace, are resolved to the appropriate symbol
(i.e., function/method) in a specific binary file (e.g., library, exectuable).

And if the VM creates a /tmp/perf-<PID>.map file to save information about
JITed methods, the perf's post-profiling tool will find it and use it to
correlate sampled addresses it collected from the VM's executable anonymous
memory mappings to the method names.

-Maynard