[9] RFR (XS): 8036588 : VerifyFieldClosure fails instanceKlass:3133

Vladimir Kozlov vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com
Wed Jul 9 23:02:47 UTC 2014

Yes, the return_value_is_used() method is incorrect, it does not take
into account that the returned value could be used after deoptimization
for reallocated objects.

return_oop is checked by deoptimization only when EliminateAllocations
is true. Only in such case and when objects are reallocated GC can
happen during deoptimization.

The fix will also preserve a return value when it is really not used:

A a = new A();
(void)foo();
a.f = 1;

or simple

(void)foo();

Which is fine since deoptimization code is not critical for performance.

return_value_is_used() is used only by this code. I would suggest to
rename it to returns_pointer() and copy-paste code from
CallNode::returns_pointer() (MachCallNode is not based on CallNode). And
use it in the check.

Thanks,
Vladimir