RFR(S/M): 8150646: Add support for blocking compiles through whitebox API

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 13:37:37 UTC 2016

Hi Pavel, Nils,

thanks for your input. Please find my comments inline.

I've also prepared a new webrev which includes your suggestions (and
the new regression test which was missing from the first webrev):

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2016/8150646_hotspot.v2/
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2016/8150646_toplevel.v2/

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Nils Eliasson <nils.eliasson at oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2016-02-29 20:01, Pavel Punegov wrote:
>
> Hi Volker,
>
> I have some comments and questions about your patch:
>
> - src/share/vm/runtime/advancedThresholdPolicy.cpp
>
> You check for background compilation  (blocking) by the searching for an
> appropriate directive.
> But there is a CompileTask::is_blocking() method, that returns a value set
> in CompilerBroker::compile_method_base when a compile task was created. It
> seems that CompileBroker::is_compile_blocking() finds the right directive
> and checks for BackgroundCompilation for being set.
>
> Yes, CompileTask::is_blocking() should be used instead of looking up the
> directive again.

Done. That nicely simplifys the code!

> I think that checking it twice could lead to an issue with different
> directives being set on the stack. With diagnostic commands I can clear the
> directives stack, or remove directives. If I do this in between the task was
> submitted and being checked  in AdvancedThresholdPolicy::select_task, this
> task could became non blocking.
>
> - src/share/vm/compiler/compileBroker.cpp
>
> 1317   backgroundCompilation = directive->BackgroundCompilationOption;
>
> Does it check the BackgroundCompilation for being set for both c1 and c2 at
> the same time? What will happen if I set BackgroundCompilation to c1 only?
> AFAIK, there are different queues for c1 and c2, and hence we could have
> BackgroundCompilation to be set separately for both compilers.
>
> The correct directive set is retrieved in the beginning of the compilation
> when getMatchingDirective(target_method, target_compiler) is called. So this
> will work perfectly even with different flags for dfferent compilers.

As Nils already wrote, this already works. I was a little unspecific
in WhiteBox.java where I set the blocking option for both compilers.
In my new version I set it only for the compiler which matches the
actual compilation level. But I'm not sure if this is really relevant
in practice.

> - test/lib/sun/hotspot/WhiteBox.java
>
> 318       addCompilerDirective("[{ match: …
>
> I’m not quite sure that this is a right way to set a method to be blocking.
> Adding a directive on top of the stack makes already set directives for that
> method not used.
> For example, if I would like to set method to be logged (LogCompilation) and
> disable some inlining, but then enqueue it with WB, I will get it to be only
> compiled without LogCompilation.
> But, AFAIK, setting CompileCommand option will work for already set
> directive through a compatibility in CompilerDirectives.

Yes, you're right. And as you correctly noticed, you could still use
CompileCommand to set an option which will not be shadowed by a new
compiler directive.

> So, I would prefer to have a directive (file or WB) or an option set by
> myself, and then invoke standard WB.enqueueMethodForCompilation().

But you can still do that. I've just added the 'blocking' versions of
the enqueueMethod() for convenience because I thought that doing a
blocking compile without additional compiler directives is quite
common for tests.