CR for RFR 8151573

Berg, Michael C michael.c.berg at intel.com
Tue Mar 15 23:14:39 UTC 2016

Correction below...

-----Original Message-----
From: hotspot-compiler-dev [mailto:hotspot-compiler-dev-bounces at openjdk.java.net] On Behalf Of Berg, Michael C
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:08 PM
To: Vladimir Kozlov; 'hotspot-compiler-dev at openjdk.java.net'
Subject: RE: CR for RFR 8151573

Vladimir for programmable SIMD which is the optimization which uses this implementation, I get the following on micros and code in general that look like this:

    for(int i = 0; i < process_len; i++)
    {
      d[i]= (a[i] * b[i]) + (a[i] * c[i]) + (b[i] * c[i]);
    }

The above code makes 9 vector ops.

For float with vector length VecZ, I get as much as 1.3x and for int as much as 1.4x uplift.
For double and long on VecZ it is smaller, but then so is the value of vectorization on those types anyways.
The value process_len is some fraction of the array length in my measurements.  The idea of the metrics Is to pose a post loop with a modest amount of iterations in it.  For instance N is the max trip of the post loop, and N is 1..VecZ-1 size, then for float we could do as many as 15 iterations in the fixup loop.

An example would be array_length = 512, process_len is a range of 81..96, we create a VecZ loop which was superunrolled 4 times with vector length 16, or unroll of 64, we align process 4 iterations, and the vectorized post loop is executed 1 time, leaving the remaining work in the final post loop, in this case possibly a mutilversioned post loop.  We start that final loop at iteration 81 so we always do at least 1 iteration fixup, and as many as 15.  If we left the fixup loop as a scalar loop that would mean 1 to 15 iterations plus our initial loops which have {4,1,1} iterations as a group or 6 to get us to index 80.  By vectorizing the fixup loop to one iteration we now always have 7 iterations in our loops for all ranges of 81..96, without this optimization and programmable SIMD, we would have the initial 6 plush 1 to 15 more, or a range of 7 to 21 iterations.

Would you prefer I integrate this with programmable SIMD and submit the patches as one?

I thought it would be easier to do them separately.  Also, exposing the post loops to this path offloads cfg processing to earlier compilation, making the graph less complex through register allocation.

Regards,
Michael