[9] RFR (S): 8148754: C2 loop unrolling fails due to unexpected graph shape

Zoltán Majó zoltan.majo at oracle.com
Wed Mar 16 17:59:13 UTC 2016

Hi Vladimir,

I've spent more time on this issue. Please find my findings below.

On 02/25/2016 03:53 AM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
> So it is again _major_progress problem.
> I have to spend more time on this. It is not simple.
>
> We may add an other state when Ideal transformation could be executed.
> For example, after all loop opts:
>
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs-comp/hotspot/file/0fc557e05fc0/src/share/vm/opto/compile.cpp#l2286
>

> Or more states to specify which Ideal transformations and loop
> optimizations could be executed in which state.

I think adding more states is necessary, adding a single state is not
sufficient as... (see below)

> The main problem from your description is elimination of Opaque1 on
> which loop optimizations relies.
>
> We can simply remove Opaque1Node::Identity(PhaseGVN* phase) because
> PhaseMacroExpand::expand_macro_nodes() will remove them after all loop
> opts.

...there are even more places where Opaque1 nodes are removed, than
we've initially assumed.

The two I'm concerned about are
- Compile::cleanup_loop_predicates()
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs-comp/hotspot/file/3256d4204291/src/share/vm/opto/compile.cpp#l1907
- IdealLoopTree::remove_main_post_loops()
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs-comp/hotspot/file/3256d4204291/src/share/vm/opto/loopTransform.cpp#l2469

> On other hand we may do want to execute some simple loop optimizations
> even after Opaque, CastII and CastI2L are optimized out. For example,
> removing empty loops or one iteration loops (pre-loops). But
> definitely not ones which use cloning or other aggressive optimizations.

Yes, I agree that we want to execute some loop optimizations even
afterwards.

So I've added three states: LOOP_OPTS_FULL, LOOP_OPTS_LIMITED, and
LOOP_OPTS_INHIBITED. These states indicate which loop optimizations are
allowed, Major_progress indicates only if loop optimizations have made
progress (but not if loop optimizations are expected to be performed).

> Inline_Warm() is not used since InlineWarmCalls for very long time.
> The code could be very rotten by now. So removing set_major_progress
> from it is fine.

OK.

> It is also fine to remove it from inline_incrementally since it will
> be restored by skip_loop_opts code (and cleared if method is empty or
> set if there are expensive nodes).

OK.

> LoopNode::Ideal() change seems also fine. LoopNode is created only in
> loop opts (RootNode has own Ideal()) so if it has TOP input it will be
> removed by RegionNode::Ideal most likely.

OK.

> Which leaves remove_useless_bool() code only and I have concern about
> it. It could happened after CCP phase and we may want to execute loop
> opts after it. I am actually want to set major progress after CCP
> unconditionally since some If nodes could be folded by it.

Yes, that makes sense and I did it.

> As you can see it is not simple :(

No, it's not simple at all. I did a prototype that implements all we
discussed above. Here is the code:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/code/8148754/webrev/

The code is not yet RFR quality, but I've sent it out because I'd like
to have your feedback on how to continue.

The code fixes the current problem with the unexpected graph shape. But
it is likely to also solve similar problems that are triggered also by
an unexpected graph shape, for example any of the asserts in
PhaseIdealLoop::do_range_check:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs-comp/hotspot/file/3256d4204291/src/share/vm/opto/loopTransform.cpp#l2124

I evaluated performance of the prototype. Peformance improves in a
number of cases by 1-4%:
Octane-Mandreel
Octane-Richards
Octane-Splay

Unfortunately, there is also a performance regression with
SPECjvm2008-MonteCarlo-G1 (3-5%). Finding the cause of that regression
is likely to take a at least a week, but most likely even more.

So my question is: Should I spend more time on this prototype and fix
the performance regression?

A different solution would be check the complete graph shape. That is
also done at other places, e.g., in SuperWord::get_pre_loop_end()
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs-comp/hotspot/file/3256d4204291/src/share/vm/opto/superword.cpp#l3076

Here is the webrev for the second solution:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8148754/webrev.03/

The second solution does not regress. I've tested it with:
- JPRT;
- local testing (linux-86_64) with the failing test case;
- executing all hotspot tests locally, all tests pass that pass with an
unmodified build.

Can you please let me know which solution you prefer:
- (1) the prototype with the regression solved or
- (2) checking the graph shape?

We could also fix this issue with pushing (2) for now (as this issue is
a "critical" nightly failure). I could then spend more time on (1) later
in a different bug.

Thank you and best regards,

Zoltan