RFR: 8254129: IR Test Framework to support regex-based matching on the IR in JTreg compiler tests [v2]

Igor Ignatyev iignatyev at openjdk.java.net
Mon Apr 19 17:03:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:11:40 GMT, Christian Hagedorn <chagedorn at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/AbstractInfo.java line 57:
>>
>>> 55:      * @return an inverted boolean of the result of the last invocation of this method.
>>> 56:      */
>>> 57:     public boolean toggleBoolean() {
>>
>> I don't think `toggleBoolean` really belongs to `AbstractInfo`, I'd rather move it into a (separate) aux class.
>
> The problem with having a separate class for it is that we would need to create a new instance somehow in a test and store it in a field to access it in subsequent iterations of a test. On the other hand, one could argue that we do not really need to guarantee that the first invocation of `toggleBoolean()` always returns `false` as the common use-case of this method is just to execute some if-else paths (roughly) equally often (regardless with which one we start) . Then we could also just move the method to `TestFramework::toggleBoolean()` with a static boolean field. We are always only executing a single test at a time, so `toggleBoolean()` reliably returns a different boolean each time it is called in a single test. What do you think?

`TestFramework::toggleBoolean()` sounds like a good alternative.

>> test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/TestFramework.java line 107:
>>
>>> 105:      */
>>> 106:     public static final Set<String> JTREG_WHITELIST_FLAGS = new HashSet<>(

I'll need to think about it a bit more, but my first impression after reading your comment is that we don't actually want to allow any flags, so we might better off just using `@requies vm.flagless` or reusing the underlying code to check that we don't have any flags that can "significantly" change behavior.

> But I think most of the time, the user wants to test the calling class for which this additional constructor is quite useful.

I concur that in most cases the users would want to use the caller as a `testClass`, yet we already have `run` and friends to cover that (most common) use-case, users who would need to construct fancier `TestFramework`, most probably, won't be doing it in their `testClass`, and if they would, the overhead of writing `new TestFramework(getClass())` is just 10 keystrokes and is neglatible (given the assumption of a more complicated use case)