Run optimizations before Escape Analysis?

Edward Lee edilee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 12:03:25 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Vladimir Kozlov <Vladimir.Kozlov at sun.com> wrote:
> You can try to move EA code into Optimize() method after first
> IterGVN.optimize() and remove nulling _congraph.
That seems to work. Attached is a patch that moves escape analysis
after the first IterGVN.optimize() call. Things will still get
optimized later through CCP.do_transform and IterGVN.optimize().

However, it turns out the initial GVN handles the duplicate argument
case with the basic value numbering, but this change still helps in my
situation. I can now tweak Ideal for various nodes that can lead to
dead code, and now EA won't need to consider those nodes when
computing escape properties.

Arguably, there's value even without my custom Ideal changes for nodes
that can be removed when reshaping the graph.

Thanks,
Ed