Escape analysis for objects with injected fields

Doug Simon @ Oracle doug.simon at oracle.com
Fri Nov 9 02:38:51 PST 2012

Upon further investigation, it seems as though HotSpot could not (currently) crash due to this issue as I believe it will never escape analyze objects with injected fields as such objects are either created in native code (e.g., java.lang.Class) or always escape (e.g., java.lang.ClassLoader) along any code path where the injected fields are used or traced by GC. Since Graal performs partial escape analysis, we are not so lucky ;-)

Given this context, I'm not sure it's possible to come up with a test case. My recommendation for now would be to add an check in the compiler(s) to prevent performing EA for such objects.

-Doug