Review request: JDK-8003539 -- Minimal VM. VM doesn't react to -Dcom.sun.management and -XX:+ManagementServer

Joe Provino joseph.provino at oracle.com
Sun Nov 18 14:36:52 PST 2012

On 11/18/2012 5:08 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I think we should have utilized UNSUPPORTED_OPTION for those flags
> that have to be disabled and will generate a warning (eg all the GC
> warnings) - even if we have to augment the macro somewhat.

That sounds reasonable.  Should I do that now or just make minimal changes?

> Then we could have a second macro for the vm_exit_on_initialization
> case (though the distinction between a fatal error and a warning seems
> to be quite arbitrary :( ).

Yeah, it's not entirely clear when we warn or exit.  I do recall a
discussion about how we should warn if
the only impact is potentially performance and exit if something is
likely to fail.  Customers may have scripts
that they'd like to continue to work as long as missing functionality
won't prevent them from working.
Maybe we should revisit this.

> Otherwise this change seems functionally correct, but the indentation
> appears wrong for the -Dcom.sun.management change.

Are you referring to line 2440?  I looked at other calls to
vm_exit_during_initialization and sometimes
it's indented two spaces, other times four spaces.  I agree they should
all be done the same way.
Is 2 spaces the standard for something like this?

thanks for the review.

joe