RFR 8055008: Clean up code that saves the previous versions of redefined classes

serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com
Wed Aug 27 12:20:21 UTC 2014

Hi Coleen,

src/share/vm/code/nmethod.cpp

   Nice simplification.

src/share/vm/memory/universe.cpp

   No comments

src/share/vm/oops/instanceKlass.cpp

   A minor question about two related fragments:

3505       // next previous version
3506       last = pv_node;
3507       pv_node = pv_node->previous_versions();
3508       version++;

   Should the version be incremented to the case 3462-3469 as at the
line 3508?
   It is not a big issue as the version number is used at the RC_TRACE
line only:
      3496               method->signature()->as_C_string(), j, version));

   We still have no consensus on the following question:
   Can a non-running EMCP method become running again after the flag was
cleared?

3487           if (!method->on_stack()) {
3488             if (method->is_running_emcp()) {
3489               method->set_running_emcp(false);  // no breakpoints
for non-running methods
3490             }

   Just wanted to be sure what is the current view on this. :)

src/share/vm/oops/instanceKlass.hpp

   No comments

src/share/vm/oops/method.hpp

   Just some questions.
   Usefulness of this new function depends on basic ability of a
non-running method to become running again:
        is_running_emcp()

   The questions are:
    - How precise is the control of this bit?
    - Should we clear this bit after all method invocations have been
finished?
    - Can a EMCP method become running again after the bit was cleared
or not set?

src/share/vm/prims/jvmtiImpl.cpp

   300       if (method->is_running_emcp() &&

    Is it possible that an EMCP method becomes running after the bit
is_running_emcp() is set?
     Do we miss breakpoints in such a case?

  303         RC_TRACE(0x00000800, ("%sing breakpoint in %s(%s)",
  304           meth_act == &Method::set_breakpoint ? "set" : "clear",

    The change from  "sett" to "set" seems to be wrong (see the line 303):

src/share/vm/prims/jvmtiRedefineClasses.cpp
src/share/vm/prims/jvmtiRedefineClasses.hpp

   No comments

Thanks,
Serguei