RFR (XS) 8033946 - Hotspot build should ignore "ide" folder

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Tue Sep 9 11:54:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-04 18:45, Gerard Ziemski wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Please review a very small fix that makes hotspot build ignore "ide"
> folder, which is where local users can store their own favorite IDE
> projects.
>
> For those interested, I have an Xcode project for JDK8 and JDK9 that I
> am personally actively supporting and using, which is hosted at
> https://orahub.oraclecorp.com/gerard.ziemski/xcode that is meant to be
> put in "jdk/hotspot/ide" folder.
>

> Summary of fix:
>
> Exclude "ide" folder from the makefile that searches for hotspot src
> files, or otherwise make bails out complaining that it does not know
> how to handle Xcode project files.

I'm a bit skeptical to this fix.

First of all, I'd like to understand in what way make "bails out" if you
have an extra directory with an Xcode project in it?

The code you are modifying is just the HotspotWrapper, which is a
temporary solution for gluing together the old and the new build. It
checks for modified files in the hotspot directory, to determine if the
proper hotspot makefile should be called.

Is this code bailing out? How can that be? What is the error message?

Secondly, I think it is a good idea if we can get more support for IDE
projects into the codebase itself. Unfortunately we have no really
standard way of doing this. We have netbeans directories in top/common,
jdk/make and langtools/make, and the hotspot Visual Studio project files
are generated on-demant, and not checked in (if I remember correctly).
I'm not entirely found of putting the ide project files in make, but at
least we should be consistent. Just adding a new way, without addressing
the old, is not helpful.

/Magnus