JEP 248: Make G1 the Default Garbage Collector

charlie hunt charlie.hunt at oracle.com
Mon Jun 1 18:25:28 UTC 2015

>>> Primarily conservatism. Of course, if G1 had been default, the
>>> "unknown unknowns" would have been resolved by now, so there would be
>>> no need to worry.
>>>
>>> I think that if G1 was default, and the platform was as successful
>>> across the same range of workloads as it is today, I'd be advocating
>>> for no change.
>>
>> Is that because you think G1 would offer a better out of the box experience than Parallel GC, or because you would not want to see a change made to the JVM’s default GC?
>
> I would not want to see a change made to the default behaviour that
> could potentially negatively affect a large number of apps and in
> doing so harm the long-term perception of the platform as a "safe pair
> of hands”.

And you also realize there could be a certain number (maybe as many as, or more) applications that could realize a better out of the box experience with G1 as the default versus Parallel GC being the default?  Implying of course that the “safe pair of hands” would have a better experience.

thanks,

charlie