G1 as a CMS replacement

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Fri Jun 5 17:46:42 UTC 2015

Ben,

 From the mail below (from another thread) it sounds like you might
have some suggestions about what is needed to make G1 a replacement
for CMS.   Perhaps some features that CMS has that G1 doesn't.  Or
some characterizations of applications (or even small benchmarks)
where CMS is doing better.

I'm aware of the applications which almost all of the heap
is place in the young gen and promotions to the old/cms
gen is very low and can be handled by the CMS concurrent
collection.

I also know that the static initiating occupancy of G1 can be
a hindrance and that the larger G1 process footprint is a
disadvantage.  Are either of those blocker for transition to
G1 for some applications.

I'd appreciate anything you can share.

Same applies to anyone else  that would like to share blockers to
migration from CMS to G1.

Thanks.

Jon