RFR: 8079315: UseCondCardMark broken in conjunction with CMS precleaning

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at lnu.se
Sun Jun 14 00:25:23 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

Short story:
I talked to Dave Dice about my ADS implementation(s). He agrees my ADS is
“probably safe”, but explained that just fencing is probably preferred
over ADS for the future anyway due to current hardware trends of
optimizing fences.

Long story:
The motivation why fences are more attractive is that they are getting
faster and faster by letting CPUs speculate more about the execution over
fencing points, instead of waiting for the entire store buffer to
serialize. Instead it speculates and only restarts if speculative load are
invalidated before the stores that should have flushed at the fencing
checkpoint have been flushed. This way fences are getting significantly
cheaper as speculative windows continue to increase, whereas the
TLB-shootdown hardware doesn’t have as many good solutions for becoming
more scalable right now and can become expensive on multi-socket systems.
Therefore, it makes sense to use fences instead, because they seem to have
a brighter future with current hardware trends, and scale better.

Therefore, let’s go for fences! :)

Thanks,
/Erik