[9] RFR(M): 8076112: Add @HotSpotIntrinsicCandidate annotation to indicate methods for which Java Runtime has intrinsics

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 09:45:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 29/06/15 10:41, Zoltán Majó wrote:

> On 06/27/2015 10:05 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 25/06/15 12:49, Zoltán Majó wrote:
>>> Problem: There is need to indicate Java methods that are potentially
>>> intrinsified by JVM.
>> It's a great idea but is it a good name?  HotSpot is not the only Java
>> VM.  Do we expect people from to come along and add
>> J9IntrinsicCandidate, CACAOIntrinsicCandidate, and so on?
>
> thank you bringing up this issue.
>
> The name HotSpotIntrinsicCandidate resulted from a private discussion
> with Joe Darcy, Brian Goetz, and John Rose. The reason this name was
> picked is to make clear that a marked method's interaction with the VM
> (specifically with the HotSpot VM implementation) needs special attention.

OK, cool.  So has any thought been given to the other VMs?  Do you
expect that, say, J9 will use the HotSpotIntrinsicCandidate
annotattion, or do you expect we will have similar annotations for
each VM which uses OpenJDK libraries?  Or is the need for this
annotation totally HotSpot-specific?

Andrew.