RFR(xs): 8171225: [aix] Build gtests on AIX 7.1 with xlC 12

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 12:13:36 UTC 2016

HI all,

after investigating I see a number of issues preventing gtest from running
on AIX, so I decided to get the fix for the wrong assert in the hotspot out
of the way and open follow up issues for the other problems.

So, this is just the fixed assert, fixed in the fashion David suggested.
All other issues I will fix separately later.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stuefe/webrevs/8171225-aix-fix-gtest-assert-compile-error/webrev.01

(Hope the link is correct, the website seems down at the moment).

Thank you for reviewing,

Thomas

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Thomas Stüfe <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> thanks for your review, your suggestion makes sense. Will incorporate it
> into the next webrev; but first I have to try and meet Volkers linker
> demands :)
>
> Thanks, Thomas
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:33 AM, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> On 15/12/2016 4:43 PM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> please review this small change. It fixes the gtest build on AIX and
>>> enables it by default.
>>>
>>> Note that even though this is a fix for AIX, a cast needed to be added to
>>> shared test coding. This is because xlC struggles with certain template
>>> expansions and I had to help it by providing an explicit cast.
>>>

>> These kind of problems have been reported in the past. The way we chose
>> to address them was to convert to use ASSERT_TRUE(i == NULL) rather than
>> apply casts to make the ASSERT_EQ(i, NULL) compile.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David
>>

>> Because linker options were changed as well, this unfortunately this
>>> spreads over two forest parts, so two webrevs were needed.
>>>
>>> Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8171225
>>> Webrevs:
>>> (hotspot)