RFR: 8146985: Change output directory for hotspot's jtreg tets to build/conf/hotspot/testoutput

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Thu Jan 14 16:03:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-14, David Holmes wrote:
> Sorry I don't understand the change. AFAICS ALT_OUTPUTDIR could be anything
> - no guarantee that it already contains the "CONF" directory.
>
> Any why only change one path:
>
>   ifdef ALT_OUTPUTDIR
> !   ABS_BUILD_ROOT = $(ALT_OUTPUTDIR)/hotspot
>   else
>     ABS_BUILD_ROOT = $(TEST_ROOT)/../build/$(PLATFORM)-$(ARCH)
>
> ?? When do we take each path?

The only "oficially" supported way of using the hotspot Makefiles is to
use the Makefiles in the top-level repo (e.g. jdk9/hs-rt). The Makefiles
in the top-level repo will always set ALT_OUTPUTDIR to
<top-level>/build/<conf>. Hence, for any developer using these
Makefiles, ALT_OUTPUTDIR will always point to the current configuration.
If anyone is using ALT_OUTPUTDIR in some other way, then they are "on
their own" (i.e. they will have to adjust their scripts).

The one exception to this is JPRT, which does not use ALT_OUTPUTDIR at
all, and therefore uses the "else" branch. I don't want to change the
behaviour in JPRT, therefore I only changed the "then" branch.

Thanks,
Erik