[8u] request for approval: "8158260: PPC64: unaligned Unsafe.getInt can lead to the generation of illegal instructions"

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:35:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

could you please approve the backport of the following ppc64-only fixe
to jdk8u-dev:

8158260: PPC64: unaligned Unsafe.getInt can lead to the generation of
illegal instructions

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2016/8158260/
Review: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-compiler-dev/2016-June/023347.html

The original change has a JTreg test which uses the new
jdk.internal.misc.Unsafe class and some of its features like
Unsafe.unalignedAccess() which are not available in jdk8 so I propose
to exclude the test from the downport.

Without the test the change only touches a ppc64 specific file and
applies cleanly to jdk8u-dev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2016/8158260_8u

As this backport is now truly "ppc64-only", can I push it directly to
jdk8u-dev/hotspot or do I still need a sponsor?

Thank you and best regards,
Volker