RFR: 8156500: deadlock provoked by new stress test com/sun/jdi/OomDebugTest.java

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Tue Jun 28 17:45:31 UTC 2016

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 5:33 AM, Per Liden <per.liden at oracle.com> wrote:
> Patch looks good. The only thing I don't feel qualified to review is the initialization order change in thread.cpp, so I'll let others comments on that.

Thanks.  I’ll be following up on that area.

> I like the pop-one-reference-at-a-time semantics, which simplifies things a lot and keeps the interface nice and clean. I was previously afraid that it might cause a noticeable performance degradation compared to lifting the whole list into Java in one go, but your testing seem to prove that's not the case.

I was concerned about that too, and had tried a different approach that also still supported the existing "some callers wait and others don’t" API, but it was a bit messy.  Coleen convinced me to try this (since it was easy) and do the measurement, and it worked out well.