RFR: 8149591 - Prepare hotspot for GTest

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Tue May 3 20:18:12 UTC 2016

Hi Kim,

On 2016-05-03 21:50, Kim Barrett wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 2016, at 9:47 PM, Igor Ignatyev <igor.ignatyev at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’d like to renew this RFR.
>>
>> besides updated previous changes, new webrev contains two new things:
>> - new vm-flag — ExecutingUnitTests, we use it in debug jvm to print a clean error message (w/o assert, line, file, etc). it is needed to simplify comparing error message in “death” tests (the tests which intentionally cause crashes/asserts)
>> - if CreateCoredumpOnCrash is false, we don't determine default core path
>>
>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev/8149591/webrev.00/
>> JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8149591
>>
>> Thanks,
>> — Igor
> In addition to the FormatBufferDummy question in earlier email, here
> are my comments:

> src/share/vm/services/management.cpp
> 1612   FormatBuffer<80> error_msg("%s", "");
> [renamed variable err_msg => error_msg.]
>
> I think this change should no longer be needed?  But it is also
> harmless to keep.

> src/share/vm/runtime/globals.hpp
> 2073   product(bool, ExecutingUnitTests, false,
>
> This flag appears to only be referenced in debug builds, so why is it
> a product flag rather than a develop flag?

I changed it to a product flag since it's used by the gtestLauncher, in
the gtest patch, in product builds. But maybe the correct change would
be to fix the gtestLaucher? The tests can be run with product builds, so
I don't think it's entirely wrong to have ExecutingUnitTests set to true
for both debug and product builds.

StefanK