Fwd: Java stack unwinder for Linux + gdb7.10+

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Tue May 31 14:46:14 UTC 2016

On 31/05/16 14:13, Mikael Gerdin wrote:
> On 2016-05-31 15:09, Andrew Dinn wrote:
>> I probably should have sent this here initially rather than to jdk9-dev.
>> Anyway, I hope subscribers to this list will find this interesting.
>
> I saw it, tried it and it worked after replacing a bunch of
> -        except Exception, arg:
> +        except Exception as arg:

Hmm, this one's python fu is strong ... well, stronger than mine
(doesn't take too much :-)

Thanks for trying it and reporting back. I'm not really sure why that
change works for you and the original does not. Could you provide info
as to what error occurred before the change? and/or explain why the
change is needed?

> and adjusting the sources to account for jdk 9 changes which I don't yet
> have in my project workspace.

Yes, sorry for that. n.b. if you wind my hg repo back a bit a few
commits you get a jdk9 version of dbg.py that works with b118 and
predecessors (if you fixed it /without/ doing that I'm even more
impressed :).

> I think it might make more sense to put this in the hotspot repo,
> similar to the serviceability agent, since it's functionality is tied to
> a particular revision of the sources.

Yes, that would be the preferred option. It should mean we will always
have compatible versions modulo, worst case, minor breakages should the
odd JVM change inadvertently break it.

regards,

Andrew Dinn