Fwd: Java stack unwinder for Linux + gdb7.10+

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Tue May 31 16:57:00 UTC 2016

On 31/05/16 17:25, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
> Mikael,
>
>> I saw it, tried it and it worked after replacing a bunch of
>> -        except Exception, arg:
>> +        except Exception as arg:
>
> Python 2.x (pre 2.7) requires Exception, arg
> Python 3.x requires Exception as arg
>
> Python 2.7 allow both syntax.

Thanks very much for the clarification, Dmitry.

I thought my gdb 7.10.1 was already using python 3 but it seems not. I
have been using my own local gdb 7.10 build (my distro package is 7.9)
and I expected the build to use the installed python3. However, I think
it picked up the (also installed) python 2.7.10 default version when I
ran autoconfig on my machine.

So, the unwinder scripts definitely need to be changed to employ the
later (3.x) syntax. I will also document that you need a gdb version
7.10+ built to use python version 2.7+ and preferably 3.0.
regards,

Andrew Dinn