RFR 8166974: invokedynamic implementation should not wrap Errors

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Tue Oct 18 00:52:10 UTC 2016

On 10/17/16 5:16 PM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

>>> In addition to the
>>>
>>> // See the "Linking Exceptions" section for the invokedynamic
>>> // instruction in JVMS 6.5.
>>>
>>> I can add something like:
>>>
>>> // Throws a runtime exception defining the cause that is then later wrapped in BootstrapMethodError
>>
>> I agree.  Maybe s/later/in the "catch (Throwable ex)" a few lines below"/, to be more specific.
>
> Thanks, updated in place.

The revised comment is a bit more verbose than my taste, but it's fine as it is.
The main point is to alert the reader that something unusual is going on.

[from John]
>> I think the throw-to-catch is good here, unusually, because it funnels all BSME-wrapped
>> exceptions through one point.  That may make somebody's day easier when placing breakpoints.

Agreed. This approach is indeed unusual, but I think the alternatives are worse:
either the BSME wrapping can be replicated at the point of the throw, or it
could be refactored into a common method. Either seems like a step in the wrong
direction. Once you figure out this code, it isn't so bad; it's just unusual.

s'marks