RFR: JDK-8190484 Move jvm.h, jmm.h et al to hotspot/*/include

mandy chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Mon Dec 4 18:17:25 UTC 2017

On 12/4/17 9:33 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Hello Magnus,
>
> The <module>-copy targets are currently only being generated for
> modules that have make/copy/Copy-<module>.gmk makefiles present. By
> removing make/copy/Copy-jdk.accessibility.gmk and
> make/copy/Copy-jdk.jdwp.agent.gmk, those targets are no longer created
> so the logic in CopyCommon will not be executed.
>
> This can be solved in two ways. Either generate <module>-copy rules
> for all modules or leave the files there with just include
> CopyCommon.gmk as the only contents. I would recommend the latter for
> now. Most modules do not need to copy anything.

Is it possible to generate <module>-copy rules for module where
src/<module>/{share, $OS}/include directory or
make/copy/Copy-<module>.gmk is present?

> Another minor note, when ordering include directories, I usually put
> the most specific dir first, so that any platform specific header file
> with the same name would override a more general one. We don't have
> that situation in this case, but I still think it's good practice.
>
> Regarding where to push this. IMO, if it depends on a change currently
> in hs, push it to hs. If it ends up in JDK 10 or 11 doesn't really
> matter that much.

I would love this in JDK 10 if time permits and I am happy to see Coleen
retarget it to 10.  This is a really nice clean up that shows the
benefit from JEP 201 w.r.t. exported native header files.   But this is
not a must for JDK 10 and if it can't make 10, it's okay for 11.

Mandy