Initial JDK 11 RFR of JDK-8173382: Add -source 11 and -target 11 to javac - Java Bug System & JDK-8193291: Add SourceVersion.RELEASE_11

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Tue Dec 19 02:34:01 UTC 2017

> On 18 Dec 2017, at 17:52, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 19/12/2017 11:42 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> Looks good to me.
>> I am including HS dev for the class file version changes:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk/JDK-8173382-classfile-version/webrev/
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk/JDK-8173382-classfile-version-build-changes/webrev/
>> We can push the above patches under the following issue rather that merge into Joe's patch:
>> Hopefully by the next release we can merge together and with less changes required.
>
> Changes seem okay, but I'm still a little concerned about using classfile version 55 before we actually bump the JDK version to 11.

Thanks, jdk and hs 1 to 4 tier testing showed no issues.

> And it still isn't clear to me who will be doing the actual version update and when?

Unsure, we are still working out the steps, hopefully it would follow on fairly quickly.

Plus there are quite a few follow on actions we can do to make this simpler for next time (especially for hardcoded values in build scripts and tests).

Paul.