[aarch64-port-dev ] RFR: 8168503 JEP 297: Unified arm32/arm64 Port

Bob Vandette bob.vandette at oracle.com
Thu Mar 16 18:03:55 UTC 2017

I agree that this is an issue but I’m not sure that it’s a show stopper.

The Oracle build will not have OpenJDK in the version string which will help to differentiate
our binaries from OpenJDK builds.

The bug database field that I think you are describing is only an indication of the architecture
that a bug can be reproduced on.  It is not meant to describe the sources that were used to produce
the binaries or where the binaries came from.  That should to be specified elsewhere in the bug report.

I don’t like the idea of listing arm64 in the version string since we are only using arm64 internally to
trigger the use of the hotspot “arm” directory.  We’d also end up with lots of incorrect bug entries since folks
will fail to use arm64 to report a bug in the Oracle 64-bit ARM port running on an aarch64 based system.

If we start putting build configuration information in the version string, then where do we stop.

Bob.