RFR(S): 8198794: Hotspot crash on Cassandra 3.11.1 startup with libnuma 2.0.3

Hohensee, Paul hohensee at amazon.com
Tue Mar 13 14:50:48 UTC 2018

Looks good to me.

Thanks,

Paul

On 3/12/18, 6:13 PM, "Gustavo Romero" <gromero at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

    Hi.

    Paul, I just saw today your bug on JBS...

    Thanks for reporting and debugging it.

    It looks like the issue boils down to the fact that although
    'numa_all_nodes_ptr' was introduced with libnuma API v2, 'numa_nodes_ptr'
    was only introduced later on libnuma v2.0.9, so it's not present in libnuma
    2.0.3 which dates back to Jun 2009 [1]. I agree with your initial patch
    that a reasonable way to address it for archs like x86_64 is to use
    'numa_all_nodes_ptr' as a surrogate for 'numa_nodes_ptr' (PowerPC needs
    'numa_nodes_ptr' anyway and will have to stick with libnuma 2.0.9 and above
    because it's not unusual to have non-configured nodes on PPC64 and nodes
    can be non-contiguous as well).

    I just think it's better to handle it inside isnode_in_existing_nodes()
    interface, which is where such a information is needed in the end. In that
    sense, if you agree could you please check if the following webrev fixes
    the issue for you? It must also apply ok for jdk8u:

    bug   : https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198794
    webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gromero/8198794/v1/

    If it does solve your issue, I will kindly ask for another Reviewer.

    Thank you.

    Best regards,
    Gustavo

    [1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gromero/misc/numa_all_nodes_ptr_VS_numa_nodes_ptr.txt