HotSpot Style Guide change process

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Wed Dec 2 11:02:05 UTC 2020

> On Dec 1, 2020, at 11:20 PM, Vladimir Kozlov <vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Okay. I did not realize that we are already using "rough consensus" in our processes.
> Thank you, Kim, for pointers. I take back my original suggestion.
>
> My next suggestion is to change [rough consensus] link to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7282 which is used by Vulnerability group and also referenced by Wikipedia. It is more formal and will be available for longer time.

That seems reasonable.

> On 12/1/20 5:25 PM, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Kim,
>> "rough consensus" has good precedents and is something we should follow here IMO. OpenJDK by-laws are for the formal parts of the OpenJDK processes themselves, not for everything single thing done under the OpenJDK banner.
>> Cheers,
>> David
>> On 1/12/2020 4:43 pm, Kim Barrett wrote:
>>> Even if we don't change, and especially if we do, some further refinement of
>>> the mechanics may be needed. I think the current mechanics may have a
>>> problem that the request shows up in one's mailbox looking pretty much like
>>> an ordinary RFR. When I was originally thinking about that text we were in a
>>> world of pure email change requests, and the document was still a wiki page.
>>> With the move of the document to the jdk repository and the move to github
>>> and PRs + Skara support for changes, the mechanics are different. It might
>>> be better if it could be subject tagged differently, as we do with Call for
>>> Vote emails. There are probably things we could do about that, if others
>>> agree that's a problem. Or maybe some of you see other problems?

I’d still like to get some feedback on the mechanics.  Is what I’ve done for a couple
of changes working for folks?  That is, is using a normal github PR for the change,
with “yes” votes via review approvals, good enough?  Are there changes that would
make this work better?  I’m mostly worried that we seem to be getting more or less
the same small group of people.  I can’t tell if that’s because others aren’t bothering,
or are they not noticing.  We want high visibility on changes to the Style Guide.