RFR: 8257020: [JVMCI] enable a JVMCICompiler to specify which GCs it supports [v5]

Doug Simon dnsimon at openjdk.java.net
Wed Dec 2 17:44:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 17:25:09 GMT, Vladimir Kozlov <kvn at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Latest changes looks like reversal of original. Will GraalVM have additional checks to allow ask Graal before disabling JVMCI?

No, the changes in this PR are sufficient. When JVMCI support is added for Graal to be able to implement support for ZGC/Shenandoah/Epsilon, the `check_jvmci_supported_gc` implementation will be updated.

> src/hotspot/share/jvmci/jvmci_globals.cpp line 207:
>
>> 205:     // Check if selected GC is supported by JVMCI and Java compiler
>> 206:     if (!(UseSerialGC || UseParallelGC || UseG1GC)) {
>> 207:       log_warning(gc)("Selected GC does not support JVMCI: %s", GCConfig::hs_err_name());
>
> I would add new UL tag `jvmci` if we don't have it yet and use it here. Also message should say `EnableJVMCI is turned off because ...'

Is the `gc` tag not applicable here? Or are you saying a `jvmci` tag should be added as well?
I will update the message as you suggest.