gclog improvements

Tony Printezis Antonios.Printezis at sun.com
Tue Oct 14 15:50:06 UTC 2008

Rainer,

Rainer Jung wrote:
> Tony Printezis schrieb:
>
>> We don't have any immediate plans for doing this. Regarding the log file
>> getting overwritten, typically customers launch the JVM from a script
>> and it's easy to create a unique GC log file name from a script (append
>> the start time, pid, or something like that). So, that's an easy issue
>> to solve...
>>

> Yes, but I do now see a lot of customers running their midrange server
> apps on Windows.
I'm _so_ sorry. :-)
>  Those are of course services started by Java service
> wrappers, which are not themselves easily scriptable. Especially
> automatic restarts triggered by built-in watchdogs do not have any
> scripting mechanism.

I'm happy to say I don't know much about the intricacies of scripting
under Windows.
>>> Furthermore: Until now there is no event based model of monitoring the
>>> GC and Memory data. All methods apart from logging are based on a pull
>>> model, that retrieves information in regular intervals. The most
>>> important information does not exist in regular intervals, but instead
>>> immediately after a GC. It would be nice to have some event based model
>>> (e.g. like in JVMTI), that allows to track the same data as the gc
>>> logging, without using the historically motivated gclog file format.
>>>

>> There's a trade-off. I don't like the pull method myself, given that it
>> can skip events, give you inconsistent information, etc. But, to get
>> consistent information you generally have to do a STW pause, and this is
>> too much of an overhead for an application in production. This is why a
>> lot of the monitoring has been implemented asynchronously.
>>

> So there is a problem in getting a perfect solution. An approximation
> could be:
>
> - provide a buffer with the information obtained after the last
> Minor/Major GC (e.g. GC type, count, total and filled sizes of the
> various memory regions, durations of the last run)
>
> - fire an asynchronous event (not STW) to allow agents to retrieve the
> buffered data
>
> That's a hybrid, that would try to provide some benefits of the event
> model, without risking long STW pauses. Of course one would have to
> think about synchronizing read/write access to the buffer, but without
> an actual agent running, there would be no contention, and with an agent
> running there would be only noticable performance impact, if there were
> lots of GCs and additionally the agent did expensive operations while
> retrieving the buffers.

FWIW, we have actually considered doing something like that. However,
improving GC logging is not, unfortunately, high on our priority list
right now...

Tony

--
| Tony Printezis, Staff Engineer    | Sun Microsystems Inc.          |
|                                   | MS BUR02-311                   |