PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime / PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime

Nicolas Michael mail at nmichael.de
Wed Apr 15 06:02:51 UTC 2009

Hi Jon,

we have been using PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime and
PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime to figure out what was going on when one
of our processes was blocked for up to 100 seconds around GC's, although
GC's only lasted a few hundred ms. It turned out that it sometimes took
100+ seconds to bring all threads to a safepoint. I currently don't
remember the bug id, but Ramki probably does. (It's been fixed for 1 or
2 years, now.) For this it's been very useful. Since it includes
safepointing time (for GC's), PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime would always
be >= the reported GC pause times (which might be confusing if you don't
know what PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime is counting -- but if you want
to see the GC time, you can look at the GC outputs instead of the
StoppedTime ... So that's ok for me!).

Other than that we don't use PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime and
PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime too often. We didn't have problems with
other safepoints yet, but if we had (or just to make sure we *don't*
have), it would be nice to get some information about the time our
mutator threads are blocked, not only due to GC. So reducing the
reported times to just those due to GC would mean losing some maybe
valuable information (unless you introduce new parameters that count
everything again).

Since I don't really know what other safepoints you have that are not
due to "VM operations" and that are not reported right now, I'm not sure
whether I would want to have them in the logs as well every time they
occur (depending on how often they occur)... But actually I would prefer
to have *all* time due to safepointing reported somehow. In case there
is some problem with safepointing, it would be good to have some
counters showing that. Or just to see how much time the application is
*really* running (vs. being blocked). Reporting all this with
PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime and PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime (and
probably drop the "GC" in the name) sounds good to me!

Nick.